Seoul first-time buyer: is ₩40,020,000 enough cash after closing?

yogaAndBridge

Homeowner
I am torn between keeping a large cash buffer and putting more money into the purchase so the mortgage is easier to carry. The property is a 2-bed duplex in Seoul priced at about ₩1,214,000,000. On my current figures, the deposit and closing expenses would leave around ₩40,020,000 available.

That sounds adequate until I account for moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges and anything the inspection says must be fixed immediately. Furniture can wait, but a repair or handover bill cannot. Would you set aside the emergency fund before choosing a repair allowance, or reduce the purchase budget until all known first-month costs fit without touching that fund?
 
I’d separate the emergency fund first and treat it as unavailable for furnishing. Next reserve money for moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges and any insurance excess. Whatever remains can cover inspection-led repairs. Furniture would come last; an under-furnished home is inconvenient, but it is usually less urgent than a leak or failed appliance.
 
One missing detail: does the ₩40,020,000 already account for the timing of your first mortgage payment and any service charges due around handover? Cash flow can be tight even when the overall budget works. I also wouldn’t assign a precise repair amount until the inspection distinguishes urgent work from items that can wait.
 
I’d be cautious about calling all likely work “ordinary.” With a duplex, the expensive question is what parts you alone must maintain and what, if anything, is shared. Clarify that before deciding the buffer is comfortable. A small interior repair and an exterior or building-related problem belong in very different budgets.
 
That helps. I was treating the ₩40,020,000 as one general pot, which made the furniture allowance look larger than it really is. I’ll ring-fence the first payment, moving costs, service charges and emergency savings before looking at repairs or furnishings. I’ll also ask for clearer responsibility boundaries on the duplex and use the inspection to decide whether the purchase price still leaves enough room.
 
I disagree slightly with dividing everything into fixed percentages now. The inspection findings should drive the repair reserve, and the monthly mortgage commitment should drive the emergency fund. Start with actual known obligations, then stress-test one plausible repair plus the insurance excess. If that leaves too little, reducing the purchase price matters more than finding the perfect split.
 
I agree that fixed percentages are premature, although I would hesitate to leave the whole allocation until the inspection. Some payments already have firm dates and should be separated from the start.

I would list the amount due at handover, likely first-year repairs and purchases that can wait. Moving, the first mortgage payment and confirmed service charges go in the first group; inspection findings determine the second; most furniture belongs in the last. Then run the same list at a lower purchase price. That keeps the reserve flexible while showing whether the ₩40,020,000 provides real breathing room.
 
Back
Top