Seeking an off-market country home in Los Angeles under $1,085,000

EsmeAsh

Landlord
Established
I’m looking for a country home in Los Angeles with 2 bedrooms and roughly 2,740 sq ft. Maximum budget is $1,085,000. It should be habitable now, but I’m comfortable making gradual improvements.

For an initial approach, owners or authorized representatives can send a short summary covering the location, asking price, floor-area basis, present condition, ownership position, and any known local charges. If a representative is involved, please explain their authority to offer the property.

I’m interested in quiet-market opportunities, but not at the expense of verification. Before proceeding, I’ll need the basic ownership documents, stated costs, and reasoning behind the asking price to be capable of being checked.
 
How closely does the 2,740 sq ft figure need to match? A two-bedroom home of that size could include studios, converted areas, or other space that is described differently by owners. I would ask every contact to separate the claimed total from the area supported by records. Also, does “Los Angeles” mean the city specifically or the wider area?
 
I’d soften the demand for a full asking-price rationale at the first-contact stage. Some genuine quiet-market owners may give a price without preparing a detailed case for it. That alone is not necessarily a warning sign.

A short summary could establish whether the property broadly fits. Then request the ownership evidence, floor-area support, known condition issues, recurring charges, and whatever comparable or cost basis the seller relies upon.
 
The 2,740 sq ft target is approximate rather than an exact cutoff, but I do want the advertised area explained clearly. Space that cannot be supported should not simply be folded into the total.

Los Angeles is the required location. I agree that the first message can stay brief; I’m not expecting a complete file before deciding whether the property is relevant. The verification point applies before any serious commitment, especially where the approach comes through a representative.
 
“Habitable with room for improvement” still leaves a lot of interpretation. A dated kitchen is one thing; unresolved structural, utility, access, or occupancy questions are another. Ask the sender to distinguish cosmetic work from defects that affect current use, then arrange independent inspections if the property reaches that stage.

I also agree with bkowalski that a seller’s price explanation is only an explanation, not proof that the price is justified.
 
A practical screening order would be: brief property summary, confirmation of who is offering it, supported floor area, condition outline, asking price, and known ongoing local charges. If those points fit, move to ownership verification and fuller cost information before spending time on visits and inspections.

For representative-led approaches, authority should be confirmed directly rather than assumed from a polished description. That should remove weak submissions without requiring every legitimate owner to assemble everything in the opening message.
 
Back
Top