Seattle valuation check: $660,000 for a 2,150 sq ft four-bed flat

quill.true

Property investor
Established
At $660,000, the 2,150 sq ft figure drives much of the apparent value, but I do not want to price every additional foot equally. This is a four-bedroom flat in Seattle described as both new-build and average condition, with good light and location but dated finishes and uncertain energy costs.

I have three active listings and a single completed comparable. Before adjusting them, I need to know whether their area was measured consistently and whether “new-build” means newly constructed or merely newer than nearby stock. The exact micro-location, ownership terms, recurring charges, parking and usable outdoor space are also unresolved.

If the sold property is close and genuinely similar, I would use it as the main anchor with a lower marginal value for surplus space. If its street position or tenure differs materially, I may have to rely more on broader evidence. Which missing detail would you verify first?
 
Overvaluing the extra space would be difficult to undo; updating dated finishes is at least a visible and budgetable issue. I would therefore verify the sole sale before building the calculation around it: check its date, street position, measurement basis, condition, parking and outdoor space.

The current listings can show what buyers are being offered, but not what they have agreed to pay. Apply a reduced marginal rate to any area beyond what the comparables use effectively, and model the finish updates separately. After that, obtain the recurring service or HOA charge; if it is substantial, it affects affordability even if the comparable evidence supports the price.
 
“New-build” and “dated finishes” need reconciling. Is it newly constructed, or simply newer than the comparables? That affects whether buyers see the finishes as a defect or just a taste issue.

I’d also confirm that 2,150 sq ft is measured on the same basis as the sold comparable. Parking and genuinely usable outdoor space could matter more than a small condition adjustment.
 
I disagree that the recurring charge is automatically the biggest swing factor. In Seattle, the exact micro-location may make the sole completed sale a weak comparable even if its size looks right. Street position, light and immediate surroundings can’t be repaired later.

Check the sale date and map its location against this flat. I’d only assign a separate parking value if the available comparables provide some support for it.
 
Keep the yield exercise separate from the market-value exercise. Build a simple annual cash-flow case including the recurring building charge, insurance, maintenance, vacancy allowance and any other costs that actually fall on the owner, then stress the energy expense rather than accepting the broker’s headline yield.

Also clarify the ownership structure. If there is a lease or ground-lease element, its remaining term and charges deserve attention; if not, “lease length” may be irrelevant here.
 
With only one closed sale, I wouldn’t pretend there is a precise adjustment range. I’d model condition at 0%, -3% and -6% against the best adjusted comparable, then replace those placeholders once you have realistic updating costs. For size, compare a straight-line calculation with one that discounts the value of floor area above the comparable’s size.

Finally, avoid double-counting: dated finishes may already be reflected in the asking price, while better light may already explain part of the micro-location premium. A one-page grid showing sale status, date, distance, size, condition, parking, outdoor space and recurring charges should make the appraisal much easier to challenge or accept.
 
Back
Top