Seattle: 540 sq ft condo or similarly priced townhouse?

slate.modern

Property investor
Established
I’m choosing between a 540 sq ft condo and a similarly priced townhouse in Seattle. The condo appears easier to maintain, while the townhouse offers more control but could bring larger, irregular repair bills.

I’m comparing association charges, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. I’d also like to understand tenant demand and vacancy risk in case I eventually rent it out. What costs or management headaches tend to be overlooked after the first year? Nothing looks disastrous individually; it’s the accumulation of loose ends that concerns me.
 
For the condo, don’t stop at the monthly dues. Look at what they include, the association’s reserves, planned building work, recent meeting minutes and the insurance deductible. A modest personal repair can be manageable; your share of a major common-building problem is harder to control. For the townhouse, price the roof, exterior, drainage and other items according to who is actually responsible for them.
 
The missing fact is what “townhouse” means in this listing. Is it independently maintained, or does it still have an association covering shared walls, access or exterior work? The difference in control may be much smaller than it first appears. I’d also compare layout, parking and usable storage, because 540 sq ft may affect both daily life and the eventual buyer pool.
 
That distinction helps. I was treating townhouse as shorthand for fewer shared-building obligations, but I haven’t separated legal ownership from maintenance responsibility. I’ll request the association material for both properties and make a line-by-line list of who handles the roof, exterior, shared access and insurance. The usable-space point is also important; I’ve focused too much on the headline price.
 
You have already identified who handles the roof, exterior and insurance as the key documents to check. What remains unclear is whether either ownership structure actually gives you control over the expensive work.

The townhouse is not automatically the riskier choice. A condo association could defer exterior repairs and later impose a substantial assessment, while a townhouse owner might see a roof replacement coming and build it into a schedule. That advantage disappears if the townhouse shares drainage, walls or exterior obligations governed by an association.

I would compare control, maintenance time and the size of an unpleasant one-off cost alongside the regular charges. Those risks may matter more than the initial price difference, especially if future rental restrictions or vacancy make it difficult to offset them.
 
A simple comparison sheet should expose that. Give each property three annual figures: predictable costs, a reserve contribution for irregular repairs, and a high-cost scenario you could absorb without selling. Then add nonfinancial columns for time spent arranging work, dependence on association decisions, privacy and space. Don’t combine the association reserve with your own emergency fund; they cover different risks.
 
Since renting is only a future possibility, verify the actual rental restrictions before assigning value to tenant demand. A unit can be attractive to tenants yet still be awkward as a rental because of association rules, move procedures or costs. Also compare likely vacancy exposure by layout and location rather than property label alone. “Townhouse” does not automatically mean easier to rent than a small condo.
 
Energy use also needs context. The smaller condo may use less overall and can benefit from adjoining units, but association dues might include some utilities, making direct comparisons misleading. Ask for comparable utility histories where available and note what each bill covers. Management workload belongs in the calculation too: arranging several contractors yourself has a real cost even when the townhouse’s cash expenses look lower.
 
I’d make the decision only after reading both sets of association documents and seeing whether either property has upcoming work. After that, the trade-off is fairly clear: the condo concentrates risk in collective decisions, while the townhouse may concentrate it in your own budget and time. If both remain close financially, choose based on which uncertainty you tolerate better rather than assuming one property type is inherently safer.
 
Back
Top