Seattle 1-bed condo, 1,610 sq ft at $660,000: how would you adjust the one sold comp?

slate.modern

Property investor
Established
I’m assessing a Seattle 1-bed condo of about 1,610 sq ft, in average condition, asking $660,000. Light and location are the main positives; dated finishes and possible transaction-related fees are the weaker points.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. As an income cross-check, I used eleven months of rent, though I still suspect my repair reserve is too light. How would you adjust for condition and floor area without overfitting that single sale? The missing details I’m pursuing include the exact micro-location, remaining lease term if occupied, HOA/service charges, parking and outdoor space. I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
The asking price is roughly $410 per sq ft, but I would not apply a standard per-foot adjustment to the sold comparable. Extra area has value only if the layout makes it useful. Start with the completed sale, then reconcile differences in parking, outdoor space, light and HOA costs. The three active listings show seller expectations, not market-clearing prices.
 
Is the 1,610 sq ft figure verified, and how is that space arranged? For a 1-bed, layout matters enormously: a genuine office, flexible den or oversized living room may be valued differently from circulation space. I’d also want to know whether the sold comp is in the same building or at least on a genuinely comparable block.
 
I’m not convinced eleven months of rent tells you much without the actual market rent and all recurring costs. HOA dues, property tax, insurance and vacancy can overwhelm a simple one-month allowance. Also separate the reserve for finishes inside the unit from the association’s reserve position; those are different risks.
 
For condition, I’d avoid an arbitrary percentage discount. List the dated items by remaining life and obtain rough replacement quotes for the expensive ones. Then add a modest allowance for disruption and uncertainty rather than pretending every dollar of renovation translates directly into value. Cosmetic age and deferred maintenance should not receive the same adjustment.
 
Ravi’s layout point is why I’d broaden the sold search slightly. A smaller 1-bed might understate the utility of the additional space, while a similar-sized 2-bed could show what buyers pay when that area supports another legal bedroom. Neither is a direct comp, but together they can help bracket the floor-area contribution better than one linear rate.
 
What is included in “transaction-related fees”? Ordinary buyer closing costs should not be mixed into the property valuation, while building move charges, transfer charges or a pending special assessment may affect a buyer’s effective cost. The HOA documents and recent meeting material could materially change the analysis.
 
The lease point needs clarification too. If this means a tenant’s remaining term, it can affect both owner-occupier appeal and the reliability of the rent used in your cross-check. If it refers to some underlying leasehold interest rather than a standard condo ownership structure, that would be a much larger valuation issue.
 
Before choosing any adjustment range, put the completed sale in a simple comparison grid: closing date, exact location, floor, outlook, usable layout, condition, parking, outdoor space and monthly HOA charge. Note any known concessions rather than relying only on the recorded price. Fill in the same fields for the subject and the active listings; the unsupported adjustments will become obvious.
 
The missing information most likely to move my conclusion is the HOA package: current dues, what they cover, reserve strength and any major work or assessment under discussion. After that, micro-location and parking could easily matter more than a cosmetic condition grade.

I’d run low, base and high cases rather than force a precise figure from one sale. Tie the condition adjustment to actual work, treat excess floor area according to its utility, and keep the income cross-check separate from the sales comparison.
 
Back
Top