Santiago property Q&A: pricing, finance and who handles what

AlbaSnow

Real estate agent
Established
I work around the Santiago property market and often see transactions become confusing because price, financing and professional responsibilities are discussed as if they were one issue.

I’m opening a practical Q&A on pricing evidence, negotiation limits, fees, financing timelines, document handling and coordination. Please include the jurisdiction and property type in your question. I’ll separate operational experience from matters requiring regulated legal, tax or lending advice, and comparisons from other locations are welcome.
 
Santiago, resale apartment. If a seller wants an offer quickly but the buyer expects to use bank financing, what should be settled before naming a price? I’m particularly interested in whether the asking price, comparable properties and possible lender valuation should be treated separately.
 
I would separate the price decision from the timetable. Comparable evidence may support an offer, but it does not establish what a lender will accept or how long financing will take. Before offering, identify which dates and conditions depend on financing rather than assuming they can be resolved later. Has the buyer received any approval, or only had an initial conversation with a bank?
 
Only an initial conversation, no approval. There is another wrinkle: the intermediary suggested one contact to coordinate the paperwork. What should the buyer ask about representation, referral fees and access to the transaction file before agreeing? I don’t want convenience to obscure who is acting for whom.
 
Using one suggested contact is not automatically a conflict, but the relationship needs to be clear. Ask in writing who the person represents, who pays them, whether any referral arrangement exists, what work is actually included, and who keeps originals and provides copies. Chile-specific questions about title, contract wording or legal responsibility should go to an appropriately qualified local adviser, not be inferred from the coordinator’s role.
 
Nina’s distinction also helps with scheduling. I’d make a simple sequence showing the offer, required documents, lender steps and any intended completion date, with one named person responsible for each item. Anything controlled by the bank should not be presented as a guaranteed date. For pricing, compare genuinely similar Santiago resale apartments and note differences in condition and terms instead of relying on the asking figure alone.
 
One caveat: better organisation does not mean the seller must accept financing conditions or a longer schedule. The buyer should decide the walk-away points before negotiating—maximum overall cost, latest workable date and which protections cannot be dropped. A property manager can help coordinate people and information, but should not become the default decision-maker on legal title or loan approval.
 
Back
Top