Sanity-checking a S$1.159m Singapore coastal rental

KeenInk

Property investor
Established
The headline yield is the figure that made me look twice: S$5,166 a month on a S$1,159,000 purchase is roughly 5.3% gross. The property is a 1-bed coastal home in Singapore, and the building appears sound, but the return may look quite different after the less visible costs.

My model includes empty periods, management, routine upkeep and a reserve for a larger repair. I am less confident about property tax, insurance, building charges, tenant turnover and the effect of coastal wear. Energy performance could also influence either demand or running expenses.

Which local cost most often weakens the net cash flow? If financing is modest, I would judge it mainly on the net yield after recurring costs; if borrowing is substantial, I would want it to withstand higher finance costs and a weaker rental year as well.
 
The gross calculation is sound: annual rent is S$61,992, or about 5.35% of the purchase price. I would focus less on energy performance alone and more on the combined drag from property tax, recurring building charges and coastal wear. Salt exposure can make the larger repair reserve especially important. Who pays the relevant utilities under the proposed tenancy, and do you have the building’s actual charges rather than an estimate?
 
I wouldn’t set a required net yield until financing is included. A deal that looks acceptable without debt can become thin quite quickly if borrowing costs rise or rent falls between tenants. Tax treatment can also depend on the owner’s circumstances, so somebody else’s target yield may not transfer to you.

I’d stress-test at least one empty month, a lower renewal rent, management costs and an unplanned repair in the same year.
 
One caveat to the coastal-maintenance emphasis: if substantial exterior work sits with the building rather than the individual unit, the more immediate risk may be higher building charges rather than direct repair bills. Ask for a breakdown of what the owner must maintain.

Then build an annual cash-flow table starting with S$61,992 and deduct every cash expense line by line. Run it both unfinanced and with your proposed loan terms. The resulting cash yield—not the 5.3% headline—should drive the decision.
 
Back
Top