I’m reviewing the rent on a duplex in Munich. Comparable asking rent appears to be around €8,181, while the current tenant pays about €6,771. They pay reliably and look after the property, so I don’t want to lose a good tenant merely to chase the highest advertised figure.
My concern is that the apparent gap may shrink quickly once vacancy time, refurbishment, reletting costs and the risk of a less dependable tenant are considered. I’m leaning toward a modest adjustment rather than trying to reach the asking level, but I may be overvaluing retention.
How would landlords familiar with Germany assess this fairly and within Munich’s notice and rent rules? In particular, what weight would you give payment reliability and maintenance history, and how would you compare a smaller increase with the likely cost of turnover? I’d also appreciate thoughts on handling any existing deposit correctly if the tenancy continues or ends.
My concern is that the apparent gap may shrink quickly once vacancy time, refurbishment, reletting costs and the risk of a less dependable tenant are considered. I’m leaning toward a modest adjustment rather than trying to reach the asking level, but I may be overvaluing retention.
How would landlords familiar with Germany assess this fairly and within Munich’s notice and rent rules? In particular, what weight would you give payment reliability and maintenance history, and how would you compare a smaller increase with the likely cost of turnover? I’d also appreciate thoughts on handling any existing deposit correctly if the tenancy continues or ends.