Sanity check: €235,300 renovation budget for a 225 m² Rotterdam condo

HonestHorizon

Architect
Established
I need to settle a working budget before asking contractors to price this properly, and the trade-off is between carrying a sensible reserve and tying up too much money unnecessarily. The current figure is €235,300 for renovating a 225 m² condo in Rotterdam.

The planned work includes the kitchen and bathrooms, new flooring and paint, checks to the electrical installation and some energy improvements. I am not proposing an extension. Finishes can still be adjusted, but concealed moisture, inaccessible plumbing, electrical defects or structural problems found after opening walls would be much harder to control.

How would you divide the risk at this stage? If surveys and access checks can narrow the unknowns, I could keep one general contingency. If important areas cannot be inspected beforehand, I am inclined to hold a separate allowance for opening-up work and contractor exclusions.

I would welcome questions to ask the surveyor and bidders about moisture, structural responsibility, sequencing, permits and material lead times. I am also trying to identify project or purchase expenses that commonly fall outside a contractor’s quotation.
 
Back
Top