Sanity check: COP 1,292,000,000 for a 185 m² detached home in Bogotá

I’m looking at a 4-bed detached home in Bogotá, approximately 185 m² and in average condition, asking COP 1,292,000,000. Light and location are its strongest features; dated finishes, transaction costs, insurance and maintenance are the concerns.

That works out at roughly COP 7 million per m², but I only found three asking-price comparables and one completed sale. How would you adjust for floor area and condition with such a thin evidence set? Also, which missing fact would most change your valuation? I’ll obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
Using the single completed sale as the benchmark feels risky, but relying on three asking prices is no better. A sale on the next street with parking, for example, could justify a difference that has little to do with the dated finishes.

I would first compare micro-location, lot, parking and layout. Then cost the work needed to bring the subject up to the sold home’s condition. For the 185 m², avoid applying one flat rate to every extra metre; check whether the additional space is genuinely usable before making the floor-area adjustment.
 
What do you know about the lot and outdoor space? For a detached home, 185 m² of floor area alone does not tell us enough. Parking could also account for a meaningful difference between otherwise similar properties.

I’d also confirm whether “detached” means fully independent ownership or a house within a managed development. Lease length and service charges may be irrelevant, but that needs confirming rather than assuming.
 
I disagree slightly with making the completed sale the automatic anchor. One sale can be misleading if it sits on a different street, has better parking, or needed a quick deal. Micro-location may change the conclusion more than dated finishes.

Can you compare the sale and subject on the same few items: exact immediate area, lot/outdoor space, parking, floor area, condition and sale timing?
 
That highlights the gaps. I don’t yet have verified details for the lot size, outdoor space, parking arrangement or any recurring charges, so the floor-area figure is doing too much work. I’ll ask for those in writing and find out whether the completed sale is genuinely comparable at street level. I’ll also separate cosmetic updates from deferred maintenance rather than calling everything “dated.”
 
Also keep transaction costs outside the property-value adjustment. They affect your total acquisition budget and possibly your offer ceiling, but they do not make the house itself worth less in the same way that required repairs might.

For the finishes, make two lists: work required soon and optional modernisation. Only the first list should be treated as a strong deduction without further evidence.
 
Once those facts arrive, build a small adjustment table rather than forcing a single price per square metre. Give each comparable a row and note whether it is superior, similar or inferior for micro-location, parking, outdoor space, layout and condition. If the adjusted indications remain far apart, that is useful information: the evidence does not support a precise valuation yet.
 
Another caveat is that asking COP 1,292,000,000 does not tell you the seller’s negotiating position. I’d avoid reverse-engineering a supposedly fair discount from the list price. First establish a defensible range from the completed sale, the active competition and repair estimates; then decide whether the house’s light and location justify placing it toward the upper end.
 
My practical order would be: verify tenure and recurring charges, obtain lot/parking/outdoor details, inspect for maintenance issues, get estimates for necessary work, and confirm the completed sale’s date and micro-location. Then compare the formal appraisal with your own range. If they diverge, ask which specific property feature explains the difference rather than averaging the two figures.
 
Back
Top