S$1.702m for a 40 m² serviced apartment in Singapore — how would you adjust the comparables?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
We are deciding whether to pursue a 1-bed serviced apartment in Singapore: about 40 m², average condition, asking S$1,702,000. The light and location appeal, but the finishes are dated and there may be building reserve costs.

I found three asking-price comparables but only one completed sale. The raw asking rate is S$42,550 per m², though I doubt a simple per-metre comparison is enough for a small unit. How would you handle condition and floor-area adjustments, and which missing fact would most change your view? This would be our first rental, and I will obtain a formal local appraisal before relying on any figure.
 
I would not choose a percentage adjustment until you know how closely that completed sale matches. For condition, start with the likely cost and disruption of bringing the unit up to comparable condition rather than applying a broad grade. For size, use a marginal adjustment; smaller apartments often should not be compared by multiplying every square metre by the same average rate.

Lease length would change my valuation most. After that: service charges and any credible reserve costs. Is the completed sale in the same building or only the same micro-location?
 
That helps. I was treating the per-m² figure too mechanically. I need to establish whether the completed sale truly matches on building, lease length and floor position, rather than letting three asking prices create a false sense of precision. I’ll also request the full service-charge and reserve information before trying to set an offer range.
 
I partly disagree on putting condition ahead of layout. At 40 m², a small difference in usable space or an awkward plan can matter more than dated finishes, which are at least visible and potentially fixable. Light is valuable, but make sure the completed comparable has similar exposure and micro-location.

Also separate parking and outdoor space rather than burying them in the per-m² calculation. If any comparable includes either, it may not be a clean match.
 
For a first rental, work backwards from net income as a second test of the price. Ask for service charges, reserve contributions, management or letting costs, furnishing needs and maintenance history, then stress-test the rent rather than relying on the headline amount.

My order would be: verify lease length and the completed sale, reconcile differences in floor, light, layout, parking and outdoor space, estimate condition costs, then compare the resulting value with the income case. If those two approaches diverge sharply, pause rather than forcing a precise adjustment from limited evidence.
 
Back
Top