Rotterdam townhouse: how should I split €39,560 after closing?

nico_compares

First-time buyer
I’m 45 days into thinking through the numbers and keep changing my mind. The target is a 5-bed townhouse in Rotterdam at around €400,200. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I should have roughly €39,560 left.

Furniture can wait; a roof or boiler generally cannot. How would you divide that remaining cash between an emergency fund, moving costs, immediate repairs and basic furniture? The inspection may uncover ordinary first-year work, and I’d rather buy below my maximum than turn every small problem into a financial emergency.
 
Locking away the full emergency reserve could leave too little for the move, while allocating repair money now could tie up cash for work the inspection never identifies. Neither seems sensible before the timing and condition details are known.

Start with confirmed costs: moving, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any charges due soon after completion. When the report arrives, fund defects affecting safety, weather protection or essential services, but schedule ordinary maintenance separately. The remaining balance can then be divided between the emergency fund and basic furniture, with unused bedrooms left until the first-year costs are clearer.
 
Does the townhouse have any service charges, or expected shared-building work? Also, have you confirmed exactly when the first mortgage payment and insurance premiums fall? Those timing details can matter even when the overall budget is comfortable. I’d wait for the inspection before assigning a fixed repair amount, because “ordinary first-year work” could mean several minor jobs or one expensive urgent issue.
 
I’d push back slightly on reserving cash for every item an inspection lists. Reports often mix urgent defects with maintenance that can be monitored or scheduled later. Ask the inspector to separate immediate work from one-to-three-year work, then obtain quotes for the immediate category before finalising the purchase budget.

Make one cash-flow sheet covering closing, moving, the first mortgage payment, service charges if any, insurance excess and essential repairs. If the untouched emergency amount left at the bottom feels too low, that is a good reason to reduce the purchase price rather than the buffer.
 
Back
Top