Rome inventory shifted in September 2025 — what are you seeing?

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
I’m tracking Rome property listings from September 2025 and the mix appears to be changing. Well-presented detached homes are moving in roughly 81 days, while homes needing work remain available longer. What I cannot reconcile is the apparent 0.9% gap between asking prices and completed deals.

Would you interpret this as seasonal noise or buyers becoming more selective? I’m especially interested in how large the completed-sales sample is, whether reductions are reflected, and whether the pattern holds within individual neighbourhoods rather than across Rome as a whole.
 
My first reaction is buyer selectivity, but 81 days alone cannot establish that. The condition split matters: if renovated homes now make up more of the completed sales, the overall timing can improve without demand strengthening. The 0.9% figure also seems hard to interpret unless each final price is paired with the asking price in effect when that property went under offer.
 
Maria, does the 0.9% compare sale price with the original asking price or the last advertised price? A property could have one or more reductions before the final negotiation, making the visible gap look small. I’d also want the number of September completions and the equivalent figures for several earlier months.
 
One more complication: completion timing may describe negotiations started well before September. If you are trying to detect a September shift, dates for listing, agreed sale and completion should not be treated as interchangeable. Later revisions to the completed-deal figures could also change a small difference like 0.9%.
 
That timing point is important. I would separate properties first listed in September from transactions merely completed then. For the 81-day figure, it would help to know whether withdrawn and relisted homes restart the clock. Otherwise the apparently faster, well-presented group may partly reflect how listing histories are recorded.
 
I’m not convinced selectivity is the best explanation yet. A small number of unusually attractive detached homes could pull the September result around, particularly if transaction volume was low. Condition, price band and neighbourhood may explain more than a citywide seasonal story. Until those are separated, “buyers are becoming choosier” is plausible but not demonstrated.
 
A practical way forward would be a simple property-by-property table: neighbourhood, property type, condition, original ask, final ask, sold price, listing date and completion date. Then compare medians rather than relying only on an overall average. Keep detached homes needing work in a separate group and note any policy or financing timing that might have affected when deals completed.
 
Yes, and I’d add sale-agreed date to that table after Mateo’s point. That would reveal whether September reflects fresh buyer behaviour or older negotiations reaching completion. I would also avoid combining neighbourhoods until each has enough observations; otherwise one area with more completed transactions can create an apparent Rome-wide movement.
 
The strongest conclusion available now is narrower: well-presented detached homes in the observed group moved in about 81 days, while those needing work took longer. The 0.9% asking-to-sale gap needs a precise asking-price definition and a disclosed sample size before it says much. I’d track the same groups for the next few months, preserve earlier figures rather than overwriting them, and compare both transaction counts and timing.
 
Back
Top