Rio studio: start high or closer to the likely sale price?

photosAndMoss

Real estate agent
Two agents have valued my Rio de Janeiro studio quite differently. The higher proposal is appealing, but comparable listings that launched ambitiously have been sitting for roughly 109 days before reducing.

Would you start high to leave negotiating room, or launch nearer the price buyers are likely to accept? I’m more interested in completed sales than promises made during an agent pitch. What would you verify first—especially on neighbourhood boundaries, condition and withdrawn listings?
 
I would lean toward the realistic launch price. The first wave of interest is difficult to recreate once buyers have watched a listing sit and then drop.

Ask both agents for recent completed sales within the same small area, not just active asking prices. Also ask what happened to apparently comparable studios that disappeared: sold, withdrawn or relisted. Can either agent explain the valuation gap property by property?
 
I’d challenge the idea that 109 days automatically proves the initial price was wrong. Condition, new-listing volume and whether buyers can finance a particular unit may all affect time on market. A patient seller might also rationally test a higher figure.

The missing fact is your own deadline. Would you accept several quiet weeks, or would that make you cut quickly anyway?
 
That is fair. I haven’t defined the point at which waiting becomes more costly than testing the higher figure, so I need to do that before choosing an agent.

I’ll ask each one for completed sales, withdrawn stock and a breakdown of the closest comparisons rather than accepting a headline valuation. I also want both to propose a price-cut timetable in advance, including what evidence would trigger it.
 
A pre-agreed timetable helps, but don’t make the reduction automatic just because a date arrives. Look at the response: viewings, repeat interest, offers and competing studios newly listed nearby. No enquiries may indicate price or presentation; plenty of viewings without offers could point to condition or a mismatch between the photos and the property.
 
Be strict about what counts as the same neighbourhood. In Rio, two studios described under the same broad area can have quite different accessibility and buyer appeal. I’d make a small comparison table covering exact location, condition, financing accessibility, original asking price, reductions and final completed price where available. If the higher agent cannot support the premium after those adjustments, it is probably a marketing promise rather than a valuation.
 
Back
Top