Rio serviced apartment at R$7.924m and R$36,210/month: does the yield justify it?

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
The headline return looks possible, but I am not convinced it survives the operating costs. This Rio 2-bed serviced apartment is priced at R$7,924,000, with projected rent of R$36,210 per month—about 5.5% gross.

I have included vacancy, management, ordinary upkeep and a substantial repair reserve, while property tax remains a concern. I also need to test how sensitive the result is to financing and weaker occupancy. Which serviced-building charges deserve the closest scrutiny, and what evidence would you want before relying on the R$36,210 figure?
 
The first figure I’d want is the full condominium charge and exactly what it covers. In a serviced building, staffing, common areas and shared facilities can make the gap between gross and net surprisingly wide. Also establish whether electricity, internet, cleaning and linen sit with the tenant, operator or owner. At 5.5% gross, there is not much room for ambiguous operating costs.
 
Is R$36,210 a contracted monthly rent, an operator projection, or an average based on shorter stays? Those are very different propositions. If it depends on frequent turnover, your vacancy allowance may not capture cleaning, booking gaps, furnishing replacement and management workload. I’d also model a weaker-rent case rather than accepting one expected figure.
 
I wouldn’t reject it simply because the gross yield is modest. A well-located, scarce apartment can still make sense if the buyer prioritises capital preservation or personal use. But that is a different thesis from buying for income. If cash flow is the aim, calculate the return after condominium fees, property tax, insurance and reserves before assigning any value to possible appreciation.
 
Financing could be the decisive sensitivity. Is this an all-cash purchase, or will there be debt? Run the model with lower rent, extra vacancy and higher borrowing costs together, not separately. I’d also ask for actual building charges and property-tax figures attached to this specific unit rather than estimates from comparable apartments.
 
I agree with hana that the condominium bill is the likely blind spot, but I’d add the serviced-apartment agreement itself. Check which expenses can be passed through, who pays when the unit is empty, and whether management is charged on gross revenue or after deductions. I would not choose a target net yield in isolation: compare the resulting cash return with simpler alternatives in the same currency, then decide whether tenant turnover, illiquidity and repair exposure are adequately rewarded.
 
Back
Top