Rio new-build flat at R$4.34m and R$30,150 monthly rent — does the yield survive costs?

yuki_north

Property investor
Established
I have checked the headline arithmetic, but the owner-side costs are still the uncertain part. The property is a 5-bed new-build flat in Rio de Janeiro priced at R$4,340,000, with projected rent of R$30,150 a month. That is about 8.3% gross.

My model allows for empty periods, paid management, day-to-day repairs and a separate buffer for larger work. The flat and building look sound, although that does not tell me enough about building charges, insurance, turnover costs or expenses that cannot be passed to a tenant. Changes affecting the intended rental arrangement could also alter the result. Which Rio cost deserves the hardest stress test, and at what net return would this risk begin to make sense?
 
The gross calculation works, but I’d look hardest at building charges and property tax. You need the full split between costs potentially passed to a tenant and costs that remain with the owner, including extraordinary building expenses. Add insurance separately too. A new building can reduce near-term repairs inside the flat without eliminating wider building costs.
 
What rental arrangement supports the R$30,150 figure: a conventional long-term tenancy, furnished letting, or something with frequent turnover? That changes management, vacancy, wear and regulatory exposure. A 5-bed unit may also have a narrower tenant pool, so I would want evidence for both the achievable rent and the time needed to replace a tenant.
 
Before committing, I would test the cash flow rather than settle on one minimum yield. Run a downside case with rent below R$30,150, a slower tenant replacement, more expensive management and an unplanned building charge.

Keep the first run unlevered. If the property itself becomes unattractive under those assumptions, financing will not rescue the deal. If it remains acceptable before debt but cash flow turns weak after the proposed loan is added, then the problem is the borrowing structure rather than the flat’s operating return.
 
I’m slightly less worried about routine maintenance than the others, given that it is a new build, but “new” is not the same as cost-certain. The bigger weakness may be treating one repair reserve as sufficient for both the apartment and shared-building surprises. I’d also avoid relying on the advertised rent until comparable 5-bed units support it.
 
A practical way to test it is to build a monthly cash-flow waterfall: collected rent, vacancy allowance, management, building charges retained by the owner, property tax, insurance, routine maintenance, turnover costs and reserves. Keep financing below that line so you can see whether the property itself works. Then model regulation-related changes according to the intended tenancy type rather than applying one vague risk premium.
 
That helps. I had grouped too many building-related items into the general maintenance reserve, so I’ll separate recurring charges from extraordinary owner costs and request an itemized history or budget. I’ll also verify that R$30,150 is supported by comparable 5-bed lettings, define the intended tenancy structure, and rerun unlevered and financed downside cases before deciding what net yield is acceptable.
 
Back
Top