Rio 3-bed at R$3.78m renting for R$25k/month — does the net yield justify the risk?

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
The projected R$25,000 monthly rent makes this 3-bed look tempting, but I’m hesitant to trust the resulting 7.9% gross yield. The Rio apartment is priced at R$3,780,000, and this would be my first purchase of this kind.

I have included ordinary running costs, management, empty periods and funds for repairs. What I cannot judge confidently is the local impact of condominium expenses, property tax, tenant turnover and flood-related insurance restrictions. Which assumption should I verify first, and how would you test whether the return still justifies the risk after those costs?
 
The arithmetic is right, but I would focus on condominium charges, property tax and possible special building assessments. Confirm which costs can realistically be passed to the tenant rather than assuming the lease will transfer all of them. Also ask for the building’s recent expense history; a healthy-looking building can still have expensive common-area work approaching.
 
How firm is the R$25,000 rent? Is it supported by a current tenant, comparable signed leases, or just the asking estimate? At this price level, one extra month empty between tenants matters more than trimming a small maintenance item. I would run the model with lower rent and a longer turnover period before deciding what yield compensates you.
 
I would not set a universal minimum net yield here. First separate property risk from financing risk. If you are borrowing, model the actual payment and how sensitive cash flow is to changing finance costs; if buying in cash, compare the net return with what else the R$3,780,000 could earn.

For flood exposure, being above ground level does not remove the issue. Access, lifts, electrical systems, garages and other common areas can still be affected. Insurance terms and exclusions matter more than the headline premium.
 
Vacancy may not be the largest threat here. One substantial building contribution could do more damage to the cash flow than a short gap between tenants.

I would obtain the condominium accounts, meeting records, planned-work details, insurance terms and actual property-tax amount before refining the yield. If those show adequate reserves and no major work approaching, concentrate on testing the R$25,000 rent and turnover period. If the building finances look weak, price that exposure first or walk away regardless of how quickly a desirable 3-bed might let.
 
Both risks should be tested rather than ranked in advance. Build three versions: expected case, prolonged vacancy or reduced rent, and a year containing both a major repair contribution and higher insurance cost. Do not count the repair reserve as part of the yield; deduct the annual contribution to it and leave the cash untouched. That will show whether the 7.9% gross figure has enough room to absorb a bad year.
 
Also distinguish recurring management from tenant-turnover costs. Advertising, preparation between occupants and a vacant month may arrive together, so listing them as separate percentages can understate how concentrated the cash hit is. Before making an offer, replace every percentage you can with actual figures for this apartment and building. The remaining unknowns are where your required return needs a cushion.
 
Back
Top