Rio 145 m² flat at R$6.384m: how much weight should one completed sale carry?

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
I have now found one achieved sale, which makes the three active listings look less persuasive and raises a harder question about adjustments. The property I am assessing is a 5-bed new-build flat in Rio de Janeiro, roughly 145 m² and listed for R$6,384,000 after 23 days.

Its light and location appeal to me, while the finishes look dated and the building reserve position is not yet clear. Should I anchor everything to the completed transaction and adjust for floor area and condition, or give the listings some weight if that sale differs materially? Details of outdoor space, tenure or lease terms, floor, parking and layout may alter the comparison. I am using no future appreciation in my base case and intend to commission a local appraisal; which missing fact should I resolve first?
 
The ask is roughly R$44,000 per m², but I would not apply a generic floor-area percentage without knowing how closely the completed sale matches the building and micro-location. Use that sale as the anchor, then treat the three listings as an upper-bound indication rather than evidence of achieved value. My biggest missing fact is the completed comparable’s exact location, floor, parking allocation and sale date.
 
What do “possible building reserve costs” mean here—an identified expense, or simply uncertainty because the service-charge and reserve information is incomplete? That could matter more than dated finishes. I’d also want the monthly service charges, parking spaces, outdoor space and any material difference in the five-bedroom layout. At 145 m², room usability may affect buyer comparisons more than the headline bedroom count.
 
I’d be cautious about calling the asking comparables an upper bound. Sellers can list too high, but they can also price low for a quicker deal, so they mainly show current competition. Twenty-three days is not enough by itself to interpret the seller’s flexibility. For condition, I would cost the finish upgrades rather than deduct an arbitrary percentage; for floor area, compare total prices as well as price per square metre, since larger and smaller flats do not always scale evenly.
 
Agreed on separating facts from assumptions. I’d build three versions: one using the completed sale with only clearly supportable differences, one allowing for finish work and reserve exposure, and one showing what must be true to justify R$6,384,000. Then ask the agent for parking details, service charges, reserve information, outdoor area, exact floor and the closest micro-location evidence. If those answers are weak, widen the valuation range rather than forcing precision from one sale.
 
Back
Top