Rightmove for a Singapore villa search from Rotterdam?

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
I’m in Rotterdam and deciding whether Rightmove is suitable as the main portal for an overseas villa search around Singapore, or only as a discovery tool. Its search coverage and closing-cost information look useful, but duplicate listings, unclear freshness and inconsistent floor-area data could make comparisons unreliable. I’d particularly like to know how people assess map pins, saved-search alerts and the next step after contacting an advertiser. What would make you trust a listing enough to pursue it?
 
Given those gaps, I would treat it as a discovery tool rather than the definitive record. Save the promising villas separately, note when each listing was seen, and confirm availability before comparing prices. A closing-cost figure is convenient, but it does not compensate for an old listing or an area measurement you cannot interpret.
 
What exactly is inconsistent about the floor area: different figures on duplicate adverts, or no indication whether the number refers to the villa itself or the land? That distinction matters more than a small numerical difference. I’d also check whether duplicate entries share the same photos, location and contact details before assuming they represent separate properties.
 
Another missing piece is whether the relevant listings connect price history or sold-record information to the current advert. Without that context, a displayed price change might reflect an edited listing rather than a meaningful change. I would not let an alert alone create urgency.
 
I wouldn’t automatically count duplicates as a portal failure. The same villa might be advertised in several versions, and those versions can reveal conflicting prices or descriptions. Stale status is the bigger concern. Map pins also deserve caution: use them to understand the broad area, not to infer the exact plot or street until the advertiser confirms it.
 
A simple comparison sheet would help: advertised price, floor area as written, possible land area, map location, listing date if shown, advertiser and contact date. Give matching photos more weight than slightly different titles when identifying duplicates. If two versions conflict, send both references in one enquiry and ask which information is current.
 
For mobile, I’d test whether selected filters remain applied when moving between the results list and map. Also check whether the mobile view exposes the same area fields and listing details as the larger-screen version. A polished map is not especially useful if pins overlap or opening a result makes you lose your place.
 
The closing-cost information needs separate verification for a Singapore purchase. Even when a portal presents a clear estimate, the actual amount can depend on the buyer and transaction circumstances. It is useful for rough budgeting, but I would ask the relevant local professionals to confirm the applicable items before making an offer.
 
After contacting an advertiser, ask three questions in the first message: is the villa currently available, which floor-area figure is being used, and does the pin show the actual location or only an approximate area? Record the reply beside the advert. A fast response that avoids those questions is less useful than a slower, specific answer.
 
Saved-search alerts could become noisy if duplicate versions and relisted properties are common. I’d keep the criteria narrow and use alerts to spot additions, then deduplicate manually. I agree with Nina that the quality of the advertiser’s answers matters, but silence does not prove the property is unavailable; it simply means it should not remain on an active shortlist indefinitely.
 
That caveat changes my initial answer slightly: use the portal for discovery and alerts, but set a firm verification step before promoting any villa to the serious shortlist. Fresh availability, clearly defined area, a credible location and consistent pricing should all be confirmed. The closing-cost display can then support comparison rather than distract from uncertain listing data.
 
Back
Top