Review: using Domain as a buyer in Japan

EarlyGlass

Buyer
Established
I want a search I can trust from Toronto before spending time arranging viewings in Tokyo, but uncertain status and mismatched details keep slowing me down. I have been using Domain to look for a duplex; the coverage and mortgage-rate material are useful, yet some adverts appear more than once, older entries remain visible, and floor-area numbers do not always agree.

How do regular users check whether a listing is still active? I would also like to know whether saved-search alerts surface genuinely new properties, whether mobile filters stay in place, and what normally happens after an enquiry. The route from contacting the advertiser to taking the next transaction step was not obvious to me.
 
The duplicates need separating into two groups: the same property repeated by different advertisers, and different units in one building that merely look identical. Did you notice which type dominated? That changes whether deduplication or clearer unit identifiers would help more.
 
Freshness is the larger issue for me conceptually. A visible “last confirmed” date would be more informative than an alert that simply republishes an old entry. On mobile, saved filters also need to remain applied when moving between the map, results and individual listings.
 
The inconsistent area figures may be the portal’s fault, but I would not assume that until the source of the mismatch is clear. Do you see one number on a search result and another on that same advert’s detail page, or are separate advertisers giving different measurements for what appears to be the same property? The former points to a display issue. The latter may reflect different measurement methods or unit descriptions and would need to be checked with the advertiser.
 
That distinction helps. I hadn’t been separating repeated adverts from potentially separate units, so I’ll do that before dismissing them as duplicates. Because I’m screening remotely from Toronto, unclear status matters more than usual: I can’t easily inspect first and resolve the details later.
 
When you say the next step was unclear, was the missing piece how to arrange a viewing, what information to send, or what follows an initial enquiry? Those are different gaps. A contact button alone doesn’t explain the process, especially for someone searching from another country.
 
I’d actually rank reliable status above mortgage-rate information. Displayed rates may not reflect the financing available to a particular buyer, especially across jurisdictions. They can still be useful context, but they shouldn’t compensate for uncertainty over whether the duplex is still available.
 
A simple comparison sheet could reduce the portal friction: written address, advertiser, floor area exactly as stated, listing status, date checked and contact outcome. Put suspected duplicates next to each other rather than deleting them. Conflicts then become questions you can send in one concise enquiry.
 
For mobile, I’d keep the first pass deliberately broad and save detailed comparison for a larger screen. The essential mobile filters would be property type, location and price, with an easy way to exclude already reviewed results. Too many fine filters can hide relevant listings when fields are inconsistently completed.
 
Map pins deserve similar caution. If a pin and the written location do not line up, I’d use the pin only as a navigation clue until the advertiser confirms the property. Precise-looking maps can create more confidence than the underlying listing data warrants.
 
Price history and links to sold records would make the comparison stage stronger, but asking-price changes and completed-sale information shouldn’t be presented as though they are equivalent. What is available can also vary by market, so the portal should make the type and limits of each record obvious.
 
Saved-search alerts could make the duplicate problem worse unless each result shows why it is considered new: newly listed, updated, reduced or merely reposted. Otherwise buyers repeatedly open the same stale property and learn to ignore the alerts.
 
For advertiser contact, send the same short questions each time: Is it currently available? Which floor-area figure is correct and what does it describe? Is the pin accurate? What is the next step for a buyer outside Japan? Consistent questions should make the replies easier to compare.
 
Also confirm what each advertiser means by “duplex.” Property labels do not always carry neatly between markets or listings. Photos, floor plans and the advertiser’s description may tell you more than the category filter, particularly when you’re searching from Toronto.
 
Zara’s point also explains why aggressive mobile filtering may be risky. If one advertiser categorises the property differently, a strict duplex-only search could omit it. I’d save one narrow search and one broader search, then compare what appears in each.
 
A two-pass workflow seems sensible: use Domain for discovery, then independently resolve availability, address, floor area and process with the advertiser before comparing finalists. That preserves the useful coverage without asking the portal to serve as the final authority on every field.
 
One caveat to that workflow: don’t automatically discard a listing because its area conflicts with another entry. Flag it instead. The mismatch could indicate a duplicate, a different unit or a different measurement description, and each possibility leads to a different decision.
 
The practical priority order emerging here is availability date first, duplicate or unit identity second, floor-area meaning third, then map and price-history context. Mortgage information can remain useful, but only after the property itself is confirmed. For a remote search, I’d also keep a record of unanswered enquiries as part of the comparison.
 
Back
Top