Repairs, closing credit or price reduction after inspection?

way.wise

Real estate agent
Founding Member
Inspection on a 110 m² new-build flat in Lyon found several genuine but manageable issues, with estimates totalling about €34,960. The seller has offered to arrange the work, but I would rather choose and oversee the contractors myself.

I’m deciding whether to request a credit at closing or a price reduction. A credit seems more useful for paying the contractors, whereas a lower price may not release much cash upfront and could matter differently if the appraisal comes in below the agreed price. I’m also checking whether the lender limits seller concessions and what financing proof they would require.

The response deadline is now close, so I’m trying to weigh inspection protection and possible deposit exposure rather than negotiate emotionally. I’m gathering completed comparables as well, although the inspection items—not the original valuation—are driving this request. Seller motivation is still unclear.

If you faced a similar choice, what made you accept seller-managed repairs, a closing credit, or a price reduction? In particular, did your lender treat the credit differently, and how did you document the agreement before the inspection deadline?
 
Back
Top