Repairs, closing credit or price reduction after inspection [studio]

rowan.slate

Property investor
The seller is willing to handle the inspection items, but I’m hesitant to hand over control of the contractors and scope. The findings are manageable, with an estimate of roughly €12,880 for this 195 m² Paris studio.

I’m therefore deciding between requesting funds at closing and seeking a lower purchase price. Completed comparables broadly support the deal, but the response deadline is close and I do not want to create an appraisal issue or jeopardise the deposit. Before replying, I’m checking the lender’s concession limits and exactly what the inspection terms allow. Is there another document or figure I should verify first?
 
I’d prefer the credit if your lender and the transaction structure allow it. A €12,880 price cut reduces the amount financed only slightly each month, whereas money available at closing may preserve cash for the actual work. But do not assume the full estimate will be accepted: send the lender the inspection findings and financing proof, and get written confirmation before proposing the wording.
 
I’m less convinced that a credit is automatically better. If the seller is motivated, a reduction may be cleaner and less likely to become tangled with lender or appraisal limits. Also, what does your inspection protection actually permit before the deadline—renegotiation, withdrawal, or only a repair request? Clarify that and the deposit consequences first. If the seller does the work, require clear scope and invoices rather than accepting a vague promise.
 
Back
Top