Repairs, closing credit or price reduction after inspection at €970,600

creek.local

Property investor
I have reviewed the inspection estimates, but I still do not know which form of concession would leave me best placed to complete the repairs. The 45 m² country home in Brussels is priced at €970,600, and the identified items total about €58,880. They appear genuine and manageable. The seller is willing to commission them, although I prefer to select the trades and decide the quality and schedule myself.

I’m therefore comparing a closing credit with a lower purchase price. The lender’s written limits on concessions may decide how much of a credit is actually usable, while a price reduction could preserve less cash for the work. I also need to keep the inspection protections and deposit position intact during negotiations. What other factors proved important—financing proof, urgent versus deferrable repairs, completed comparables, or the wording and timing of the amendment?
 
If contractor control is the priority, I would first ask the lender—in writing—how much credit it will accept and how that credit may be applied. A nominal €58,880 credit is not useful if financing rules prevent you from receiving the full benefit at closing. A price reduction is simpler conceptually, but it may not leave you with enough cash to fund the repairs afterward.
 
How much of the estimate covers urgent defects versus work that can wait? That distinction changes the negotiation. Also, when does your inspection response period expire, and does requesting a concession preserve your rights under the agreement? I would not let discussions drift beyond the deadline without confirmation from the relevant Belgian transaction professionals. The seller’s motivation matters too: speed, certainty, or preserving the recorded price may lead to different answers.
 
I wouldn’t reject seller-managed repairs automatically. If completion can be defined clearly, supported by invoices and inspected again before closing, it could spare you from funding nearly €59,000 immediately. The caveat is that the seller may naturally favor the cheapest acceptable solution, while you may care about durability or matching finishes. Vague promises to “fix everything” would concern me more than the arrangement itself.
 
Before choosing the format, compare the €970,600 price with genuinely comparable completed sales, accounting for condition. If the agreed price already assumes a renovated property, asking for the full repair amount has a stronger rationale. If it already reflects the defects, the seller may resist.

I’d also separate the appraisal issue from the inspection issue. A reduction can help if the valuation comes in low, whereas a repair credit may not solve an appraisal gap. Financing proof showing that you can still close could make a larger request more credible.
 
One further wrinkle: don’t treat all €58,880 of estimates as equally certain. Contractor estimates can include alternatives, allowances or overlapping work. A short schedule listing each defect, proposed remedy, estimate and requested concession would make the response harder to dismiss and easier for the lender to assess.
 
I’d make this a three-option proposal before the response deadline: buyer-controlled work with the maximum permitted credit; an equivalent price adjustment if the credit is restricted; or seller repairs limited to specifically described items, followed by reinspection. State that any solution remains subject to the existing inspection and financing protections.

Then compare the actual outcomes: cash needed at closing, cash available for repairs, appraisal-gap risk, completion risk and deposit exposure. The largest-looking concession is not necessarily the one that leaves you in the best position.
 
Back
Top