Rental deal in Manchester: £312,000 purchase, £2,277/month — sanity check

miro_ash

Property manager
Established
One update to my figures has raised another question: insurance may take a much larger bite than I first allowed. The Manchester property is a four-bedroom detached home at £312,000, with projected rent of £2,277 a month and a gross yield near 8.8%.

The model already includes empty periods, management fees, ordinary upkeep and a reserve for a major repair. I still need to test council tax during vacancies, reletting costs, financing and whether the rent assumes one household or separate room lets. Which of those is most likely to undermine net cash flow, and how would you judge whether the remaining return compensates for turnover risk?
 
The first thing I’d test is whether £2,277 is a realistic whole-property rent or depends on letting rooms separately; that changes turnover, management intensity and possibly insurance. During vacancies, also budget for council tax, utilities, cleaning and reletting rather than treating lost rent as the only cost.

I wouldn’t set a net-yield target before obtaining an actual insurance quote and stress-testing the mortgage rate. An 8.8% gross figure can compress quickly. What tenant type and financing assumptions are behind your model?
 
Back
Top