Rental deal in Manchester: £210,600 purchase, £1,155/month — sanity check

wise_book

Property investor
Established
I have checked the basic rent calculation, but the true cash flow is still unclear. The property is a 1-bed Manchester townhouse priced at £210,600, with expected rent of £1,155 a month, so the gross yield is about 6.6%.

The main unknown is energy performance and what improvements may be needed. I have budgeted for voids, management, normal repairs and a larger maintenance item, but I may still be missing tenure-related charges, full reletting fees or local insurance costs.

Which fact would you establish first before setting a minimum net yield: energy rating, freehold or shared obligations, complete management fees, or financing terms? I also want to stress-test the deal against higher repair spending and mortgage costs rather than rely on the unleveraged headline figure.
 
The annual rent is £13,860, so the gross calculation is right. My concern would be costs that sit outside your standard monthly assumptions: tenant turnover, insurance and any building or estate charge attached to the property. One change of tenant can combine a void with cleaning, repairs and reletting costs.

Is your management figure based on the full fee schedule, or just a percentage of rent collected?
 
You need the tenure details and energy information before choosing a target net yield. Is this a freehold townhouse, or a unit described as a townhouse with shared-building obligations? Also, what are the current energy rating, heating type and likely improvement costs?

Financing matters too. A reasonable unleveraged result can become fragile once mortgage payments are included.
 
One more point: I would not use a single normal-year net yield as the decision test. Run at least a turnover year with a meaningful void and extra maintenance, then a separate energy-work scenario based on actual quotes. If the deal only looks acceptable when every year is smooth, 6.6% gross is not much protection.
 
I partly disagree that energy should automatically be the main concern. It could be material, but an unknown recurring charge is often more damaging than a known one-off improvement. First establish exactly what is being purchased and who pays for shared structure, exterior work and insurance, if applicable.

Also clarify council tax responsibility during any vacancy and make sure acquisition costs are included in the capital used for your net-yield calculation. The treatment can depend on circumstances, so verify the current position rather than assuming.
 
This is helpful. I have treated the property too much like a straightforward house and have not separated recurring building obligations from one-off energy work. I also used a broad turnover allowance rather than modelling the void, reletting and repairs individually.

I will get the tenure information, full management charges, insurance quote and energy details before deciding on a required yield. I will also run the figures both before and after financing rather than letting the gross yield drive the decision.
 
That should make the comparison much clearer. Start with £13,860 annual rent, subtract each recurring operating cost, then divide the remainder by the full cash committed to purchase and initial works. Keep mortgage costs on a separate line so you can see both property performance and actual cash flow.

I would proceed only if the stressed version still produces acceptable cash flow without relying on rent growth. The right net yield is personal, but it should compensate for the concentration, turnover risk and uncertain energy expenditure better than the headline 6.6% suggests.
 
Back
Top