Rental deal in Madrid: €653,200 purchase, €3,814/month — sanity check

noteTheMap

Real estate agent
Founding Member
I’m assessing a Madrid 1-bed villa at €653,200 with expected rent of €3,814/month. That is €45,768 annually and roughly 7.0% gross. The building appears sound, but the property-tax figure is still unclear.

I’ve allowed for vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger repair reserve. Which local recurring cost am I most likely missing, and what net yield would justify the risk?
 
The first figures I’d request are the actual property-tax and community-charge bills, rather than estimates. Community charges can turn an attractive gross yield into an ordinary deal, especially if services or shared facilities are involved. Calculate net yield on those verified expenses before deciding what return compensates you.
 
Also, how firm is the €3,814 rent? Is it supported by a current tenancy or merely an asking-rent projection? For a 1-bed villa that assumption deserves more attention than a small error in property tax.
 
Include purchase-related costs in the capital base when comparing this with other investments. The advertised 7.0% uses only €653,200 as the denominator, while your actual cash committed could be higher. Keep that separate from annual operating expenses, but don’t omit it from the return calculation.
 
I’d go further than Naomi: tenant turnover may be the central risk here. A high monthly rent for one bedroom can mean a narrower tenant pool. Even if annual vacancy looks reasonable on paper, reletting costs and gaps may arrive together rather than spread neatly across years.
 
Build a one-page operating statement with rent at €3,814, then separate vacancy, management, tax, insurance, community charges, owner-paid utilities, routine maintenance and major repairs. Anything still bundled under “miscellaneous” is where optimism tends to hide.
 
Clarify what “villa” includes. If there is private outdoor space, a roof, heating or cooling equipment, security equipment, or other items maintained solely by the owner, the reserve needs to reflect that. Don’t assume the building looking sound means the expensive systems are equally sound.
 
Is this cash-funded or financed? A property can have an acceptable unlevered net yield and still produce weak or negative cash flow once interest, repayments and lender costs are included.
 
I would actually run two returns: net yield before financing, and cash-on-cash after financing. Mixing debt into the property’s operating performance makes it harder to see whether the asset is weak or the loan structure is the problem.
 
Agreed on separating them. Then stress the financing independently: higher borrowing cost, a refinancing delay, and several months without rent. The deal should not depend on every variable staying at the optimistic end.
 
Insurance is another line that often gets entered as a placeholder. Obtain a quote for this specific property and intended rental use. Also establish which damage and service costs sit with the owner rather than assuming the tenant or community will absorb them.
 
Before debating a target yield, I’d want the latest property-tax bill, community-charge history, insurance quote and a written management proposal. Those four numbers should answer much of the original question without relying on broad Madrid estimates.
 
And I still wouldn’t accept €3,814/month without comparable evidence. The unusual combination here is not Madrid plus rental; it is €3,814 for one bedroom in a villa format. Compare genuinely similar properties, not larger villas or centrally located apartments.
 
As a personal hurdle, I’d want around 5% net before financing after realistic vacancy and reserves. That is not a universal Madrid threshold; it is simply enough distance from the 7.0% headline to expose whether the deal survives ordinary ownership costs.
 
I’m not convinced 5% alone answers it. A stable 5% and a fragile 5% are different investments. If the result relies on one premium tenant, light maintenance and a favorable exit price, I’d require more margin or a lower purchase price.
 
That’s fair. I’d ask the seller for evidence behind every recurring figure, then have the purchase and letting assumptions reviewed for the property’s exact Madrid jurisdiction and intended rental arrangement. The point is to replace estimates, not to accumulate more of them.
 
The 5% discussion gives a useful reverse calculation. Five percent of €653,200 is €32,660 annual net income. Against €45,768 gross rent, all vacancy and operating costs together could consume no more than €13,108. Put your real figures into that allowance and see whether it is credible.
 
That €13,108 ceiling is helpful, but remember it is based on the purchase price alone. If the goal is 5% on total capital committed, acquisition costs reduce the allowable annual leakage further. I’d show both versions rather than letting one denominator quietly win.
 
A scenario table would settle much of this: expected rent, lower rent, one tenant change, and a major repair year. If only the first column works, the 7.0% gross figure is doing too much of the selling.
 
There is also an exit question. A 1-bed villa may appeal to a specific buyer or tenant profile, so don’t assume it will trade like a standard apartment. That doesn’t make it bad, but it raises the return I’d want for limited flexibility.
 
Back
Top