Rental deal in Helsinki: €335,800 purchase, €1,458/month — sanity check

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
The latest concern in my figures is the energy cost, which makes me question the apparent 5.2% gross yield. This is a 4-bed coastal home in Helsinki priced at €335,800, with projected rent of €1,458 per month.

I have budgeted for empty periods, a manager, normal upkeep and a significant repair, but the margin still looks narrow. Which actual documents would best establish the landlord's heating obligation, management charges, insurance and property tax? I am also unsure how heavily to model tenant turnover for a four-bedroom home, or what net return would justify that risk.
 
Heating and other energy-related costs deserve the closest look, but first establish exactly which charges fall on the landlord and which on the tenant. I’d also want the actual property-tax, insurance and recent maintenance figures rather than estimates. At €1,458, the annual gross rent is €17,496, so there is not much room for financing costs or an unexpectedly large repair before cash flow becomes thin.
 
I wouldn’t choose a target net yield until you stress-test the financing. Run the deal with a higher interest cost, some vacancy between tenants and a repair occurring in the same year. A 4-bed may also have a narrower tenant pool, making turnover more expensive than the gross figure suggests. If it still produces acceptable cash flow under that combined scenario, the 5.2% headline number becomes more meaningful.
 
Back
Top