Rent increase versus tenant retention for student housing in Kuala Lumpur?

PracticalKey

Homeowner
Established
Losing a dependable tenant could wipe out much of the gain from raising the rent too sharply. The current rent is MYR 13,160, while comparable student housing is being advertised near MYR 14,250, although I appreciate that asking figures may not be achieved.

The tenant pays reliably and takes care of the property. I’m therefore thinking of comparing several options: renew at the current figure, introduce a smaller increase now, or agree a staged rise at a later review. Each option would be weighed against vacancy time, cleaning, repairs and reletting costs.

How would others turn that into a repeatable review process? I also want any proposal and timing to comply with the tenancy agreement and local notice rules without damaging the relationship.
 
The full gap is MYR 1,090 per month, but asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent. I’d first estimate the cost of even one vacant month, advertising, cleaning and likely repairs. Then compare that total with the extra annual income from different increases. A reliable tenant also has real value, so I would lean toward a smaller rise supported by genuinely comparable properties.
 
How comparable are those MYR 14,250 listings? Same area, capacity, furnishing, condition and included services? Student housing can look similar online while having a different number of occupants or a different cost structure. Also, what does the existing tenancy agreement say about renewal, rent changes, notice and the deposit? Those details should come before choosing an amount.
 
I agree about checking the agreement, but I wouldn’t automatically discount the market figure merely because the tenant is good. Keeping rent materially below comparable homes year after year can make the eventual correction harder for both sides. A staged increase may be kinder than postponing the issue, provided the notice and timing comply with the tenancy terms and current Malaysian requirements.
 
Fair point, though I’d still separate advertised rent from evidence of what another tenant would actually pay. Vacancy timing matters too: losing the tenant when student demand is weak could outweigh a higher headline rent. I’d prepare three figures—retain at current rent, renew with a modest increase, and replace at the likely achievable rent—then include vacancy and turnover costs in each scenario.
 
For a repeatable process, use the same sequence each time: inspect payment and maintenance history; collect close comparables; read the tenancy’s renewal and notice terms; estimate vacancy, cleaning, repairs and reletting costs; then decide the increase and communicate it in writing. Keep the tenant assessment separate from personal impressions. Reliable payment and good care are measurable reasons to accept slightly less than the maximum.
 
Don’t leave deposit handling until move-out. Before proposing the change, confirm how the existing deposit would be treated if the tenancy renews at a different rent, and record the property’s present condition. If the tenant declines and leaves, deductions or returns should follow the agreement and applicable local requirements rather than being used to recover the cost of vacancy.
 
One more relationship point: give the tenant a clear renewal offer rather than opening with the MYR 14,250 asking figure as an ultimatum. Explain that the review considered comparable homes, their reliable payments and the property’s condition, then provide the proposed rent and effective date. If timing allows, a prompt acceptance deadline can help you plan without turning the conversation into a negotiation with no end.
 
Back
Top