Rent increase versus tenant retention for student housing in Brisbane

SolidYard

Property manager
The market asking rent for comparable student housing appears to be around A$8,209, while my reliable tenant currently pays about A$6,497. They pay on time and take good care of the property, so I’m reluctant to chase the full difference and risk vacancy, turnover and refurbishment costs.

How would other Australian landlords approach a fair increase while complying with Brisbane notice and timing rules? I also want to preserve the relationship and handle any deposit implications correctly. The figures are on the same rental period, but I’d still verify the comparisons before acting.
 
I wouldn’t jump straight to A$8,209 just because it appears in asking listings. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and student housing can have seasonal vacancy risk. Compare genuinely similar properties, then estimate the cost of even a short vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and reletting.

If the gap still holds, a staged increase may be the better business decision. Give the tenant a clear explanation and plenty of warning, while checking the current Queensland rules on frequency, formal notice and deposit handling before issuing anything.
 
Back
Top