Rent increase versus tenant retention for an apartment in Rotterdam

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
There is a sizeable rent gap, but losing a reliable tenant is my specific concern. Similar Rotterdam apartments are being advertised near €6,577, while the current tenant pays roughly €5,521 and has consistently paid on time and cared for the property.

Rather than aiming immediately at the advertised level, I’m weighing a smaller adjustment against the vacancy, refurbishment and administration that turnover might bring. Subject to the rules governing this tenancy, how would you approach the review and explain it without undermining a good relationship?
 
I would put a value on retention before choosing a figure. Estimate the likely vacancy period, work between tenants, advertising and any maintenance you would bring forward. Then compare that total with the extra annual rent. A reliable tenant also removes a lot of uncertainty, so I would not treat €6,577 as an automatic target.
 
How close are those asking properties in size, condition, furnishing and contract terms? Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and a few unusually polished apartments can skew the comparison. I’d also look at this tenant’s maintenance history: have small issues been reported promptly, or is there deferred work that could surface later?
 
Before discussing the amount, confirm what increase is actually permitted under this particular tenancy and what notice and timing requirements apply in the Netherlands. The contract type and circumstances may matter. I would get the proposed wording and calculation checked locally rather than assuming the apparent market gap can legally be recovered.
 
The maintenance-history question adds another variable: how much of the apparent discount is justified by the value of this particular tenant? Turnover costs matter, but leaving the rent well behind genuinely comparable homes may only postpone a more difficult adjustment if costs keep increasing.

I would compare a measured rise now with the consequences of a larger change later. First verify the permitted amount, timing and notice wording for this tenancy. If those checks allow an increase, explain the calculation, recognise the tenant’s record and invite a discussion rather than presenting the market asking figure as an ultimatum.
 
That is fair, but the comparison still needs a probability attached to it. If €6,577 is only an advertised figure and reaching it requires a vacant month plus refurbishment, the effective gain may be much smaller than the headline difference. I’d calculate modest-increase, full-turnover and no-increase scenarios over the same period.
 
Also plan the practical side of a possible departure before using it as leverage. Record the apartment’s present condition, separate ordinary wear from tenant-caused damage, and handle any deposit consistently with the tenancy terms and applicable rules. A good tenant may accept a reasonable adjustment more readily if the message recognises their payment reliability and care of the property.
 
A sensible next step is to make a short table: lawful maximum or contractual limit after local confirmation, comparable achieved evidence if available, expected vacancy time, essential refurbishment, and the retention value you assign to this tenant. That should produce a defensible range. I’d open near the lower end of that range rather than jumping straight from €5,521 to €6,577.
 
Back
Top