river.light
Homeowner
I’m reviewing the rent on a townhouse in Rio de Janeiro. Comparable asking rents appear to be around R$24,420, while the current tenant pays about R$20,870. They pay on time, take good care of the property and report maintenance problems before they become expensive.
I’m reluctant to chase the full asking figure if that creates turnover, vacancy and refurbishment costs. A modest adjustment may preserve a good tenancy, but I also do not want the rent to drift too far from the market.
How would landlords familiar with Brazil approach this review? In particular, what would you weigh when choosing the amount, and how would you discuss it with the tenant while complying with local notice, adjustment and deposit rules? It would also be useful to know how others compare the value of payment reliability and maintenance history against the possible vacancy time between tenants.
I’m reluctant to chase the full asking figure if that creates turnover, vacancy and refurbishment costs. A modest adjustment may preserve a good tenancy, but I also do not want the rent to drift too far from the market.
How would landlords familiar with Brazil approach this review? In particular, what would you weigh when choosing the amount, and how would you discuss it with the tenant while complying with local notice, adjustment and deposit rules? It would also be useful to know how others compare the value of payment reliability and maintenance history against the possible vacancy time between tenants.