Rent increase versus tenant retention for a studio in Rome at €1,063,000

travelsAndGrove

Property investor
Established
Raise the rent close to €5,334 and I may lose an excellent tenant. Leave it at €4,680 and I may be ignoring a genuine change in the Rome market. Neither option feels particularly sensible for a studio valued around €1,063,000.

The tenant pays reliably and has looked after the place, so I want to compare any extra income with vacancy time, preparation work and reletting costs. Has anyone approached this by proposing a smaller increase, and how would you open that conversation while following the contract and local notice requirements?
 
Start with the tenancy agreement, because the permitted timing and method may matter more than the advertised figure. I’d also calculate the actual gain from an increase after a realistic vacancy period, preparation work and reletting expenses. A dependable tenant may justify leaving some distance below €5,334. Present the comparable asking rent as context, not as proof that the property would immediately achieve it.
 
The permitted notice process needs checking before the advertised rent becomes the focus. I understand why €5,334 is tempting, but listings that remain available for months do not establish what a replacement tenant would pay.

I would also review the studio’s maintenance record and identify any work likely to arise soon. Record the present condition, then confirm the tenancy-specific rules for notice and deposit handling before suggesting a figure. That sequence reduces the chance of a manageable rent discussion creating problems later.
 
Back
Top