Rent increase versus tenant retention for a small multifamily in New York

atlas.slow

Property manager
Established
I have checked current listings around $7,912 and compared them with the tenant’s rent of roughly $6,970. What I still do not know is whether those asking prices are being achieved or whether this small multifamily unit is subject to rules that limit the timing or size of an increase.

The appeal of closing the gap is obvious, but a dependable tenant and lower turnover have real value. I am inclined toward a smaller adjustment after confirming the unit’s regulatory status, notice period and any outstanding maintenance. What evidence would support a fair figure without treating the highest listing as the market?
 
I would value the reliable tenant rather than jump straight to $7,912. Work out what one vacant month, preparation work and reletting would cost, then compare that with the extra annual rent from a smaller increase. A calm written explanation and enough notice can also matter as much as the number. Confirm the rules for the property before proposing anything.
 
Where in New York is the building, and is the unit subject to any rent regulation? Those facts could determine what is permitted, so they come before the market comparison. I’d also want to know when the lease ends and whether the tenant has raised any unresolved maintenance issues. A rent discussion lands badly if repairs are still outstanding.
 
At $7,912, the decision changes only if comparable units are actually leasing near that level without long vacancies or concessions. Otherwise, the apparent gain over $6,970 can disappear quickly once preparation and reletting are included.

I would check achieved rents for genuinely similar units, the building’s regulatory status and any unresolved repairs before proposing an amount. It is also worth mapping the turnover process, including inspection records and locally required deposit handling. Retaining a reliable tenant matters, but the evidence may still justify a measured increase.
 
A practical route is to verify the unit’s regulatory status and notice requirements, review maintenance first, and then offer a defensible increase below the apparent asking level. Put the amount, effective date and lease terms clearly in writing. If the tenant objects, compare their counteroffer with the real cost and disruption of vacancy rather than reacting only to the headline market figure.
 
Back
Top