Rent increase versus tenant retention for a Singapore studio

post.field

Homeowner
Self-managing this studio was straightforward until I moved farther away, so turnover now feels more costly as well as inconvenient.

The tenant currently pays about S$6,591, always pays reliably and takes good care of the home. Comparable asking rents appear close to S$7,133, but I appreciate that asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent.

Would you propose a modest increase at renewal rather than push for the full market figure? I’m trying to account for vacancy, refurbishment and the value of a dependable tenant while following Singapore notice requirements and keeping the discussion fair.
 
I would not chase the entire S$542 monthly difference. Even one vacant month at the current rent would exceed a full year of that headline uplift, before cleaning, repairs or marketing are considered. Asking prices may also be optimistic.

A smaller increase, supported by genuinely comparable units, would preserve some upside without treating a good tenant as replaceable.
 
When does the current tenancy end, and what does the tenancy agreement say about renewal and notice? Those facts matter before choosing a number.

I’d also check whether the S$7,133 listings match the same building, condition, furnishings and inclusions. If utilities or services differ, the comparison could be misleading.
 
I partly disagree with Bruno’s vacancy calculation. It is useful, but it can justify leaving rent below market indefinitely. If completed deals—not just advertisements—support the higher level, the gap may continue into later renewals.

The tenant’s maintenance history should still carry real weight, especially now that the owner is farther away. I’d offer a measured increase and explain the evidence rather than jumping straight to S$7,133.
 
Before contacting the tenant, inspect the studio or arrange a condition assessment and list any maintenance that should be completed. That gives both sides a cleaner basis for renewal and avoids mixing a rent discussion with unresolved repair complaints.

Put the proposed rent, effective date and renewal period in writing. Also confirm how the existing deposit will be recorded or adjusted under the tenancy agreement and current Singapore requirements.
 
The distinction between advertised and completed rents is the key missing piece. If S$7,133 is only an asking figure, I would lean toward a modest adjustment and early, non-confrontational conversation. If the tenant declines, Amir can then compare the likely vacancy and preparation costs with the extra rent realistically available.

Because notice and deposit treatment can depend on the agreement and current local requirements, those details are worth confirming locally before sending a formal renewal proposal.
 
Back
Top