Rent increase versus tenant retention for a Mumbai apartment

aisha_dawn

Landlord
Market asking rent for my Mumbai apartment appears to be around ₹288,900, versus the current ₹269,700. The tenant pays reliably and looks after the home, so I am reluctant to chase the full difference if turnover means vacancy, refurbishment and deposit administration.

Self-managing also became harder after I moved farther away. How would others frame a fair increase, comply with the applicable notice terms and preserve a good relationship?
 
My hesitation is that ₹288,900 is an asking figure, not necessarily an achieved rent. I am leaning toward a smaller adjustment rather than pushing straight to that number, but I need a sensible way to explain it. I also want to establish the tenant’s renewal plans before arranging anything remotely.
 
The gap is ₹19,200 per month. At that rate, even one vacant month at the current rent would absorb roughly 14 months of the full uplift, before painting, repairs or reletting costs. On those numbers, retaining a reliable tenant with a moderate rise can be financially stronger than insisting on the advertised market figure.
 
Before choosing the amount, what does the existing agreement say about expiry, renewal and notice? The applicable process may depend on the arrangement and local requirements, so I would not send an informal increase first and investigate later. Also compare like with like: same building or immediate area, similar condition, furnishing and parking, rather than broad Mumbai listings.
 
The roughly 14-month break-even period changed my view here, but vacancy should not be the only test. If the rent has lagged comparable apartments through several reviews, keeping this increase merely symbolic could leave you facing a much harder adjustment later.

I’d first ask whether the tenant intends to renew. If they want stability, a moderate increase below ₹288,900 could recognise both the market gap and the value of reliable payment, while avoiding the turnover and deposit work that comes with reletting.
 
A practical sequence: collect a few genuinely comparable listings, estimate realistic vacancy and refurbishment costs, and calculate the net result under no increase, a modest increase and full market asking rent. Then discuss renewal with the tenant before giving written notice in the form and timeframe required by the agreement and local rules. If turnover remains possible, prepare a clear condition record and deposit reconciliation process, especially since you now manage from farther away.
 
Back
Top