LilaArcher
Landlord
Getting this wrong could mean giving up a dependable tenant for rent that is only achievable in an advertisement. The Montreal studio is currently at about C$8,938 on the same basis that comparable listings are near C$10,780.
The tenant pays on time and looks after the studio, so the apparent gap has to be weighed against vacancy, turnover work and the effort of finding someone new. I am considering either a moderate adjustment or no change, rather than trying to reach the full advertised level immediately.
Would you first test whether those comparables reflect genuinely similar studios and achieved rents? If the gap remains after that check, I would raise the rent modestly; if reletting costs absorb most of the difference, retention seems more valuable. I also need to confirm the applicable Montreal notice requirements before starting the conversation.
The tenant pays on time and looks after the studio, so the apparent gap has to be weighed against vacancy, turnover work and the effort of finding someone new. I am considering either a moderate adjustment or no change, rather than trying to reach the full advertised level immediately.
Would you first test whether those comparables reflect genuinely similar studios and achieved rents? If the gap remains after that check, I would raise the rent modestly; if reletting costs absorb most of the difference, retention seems more valuable. I also need to confirm the applicable Montreal notice requirements before starting the conversation.