Rent increase versus tenant retention for a Manila studio

stone.far

Homeowner
Self-managing this Manila studio was straightforward until I moved farther away. The current tenant pays reliably, takes care of the home and is paying about PHP 90,580. Comparable asking rent appears to be around PHP 106,500.

I do not want to lose a good tenant by chasing the full gap, especially once vacancy, refurbishment and the extra difficulty of managing turnover remotely are considered. How would you frame a modest, fair rent review while complying with the lease and applicable local rules? I am also interested in how others weigh payment and maintenance history against advertised market rent.
 
I would lean toward retention. The headline gap is PHP 15,920 a month, but even one vacant month at the higher rent would consume more than six months of that uplift, before cleaning, repairs or travel are counted.

First confirm the lease timing and notice requirements, then discuss a smaller adjustment early rather than presenting PHP 106,500 as the target. How comparable are those listings in size, condition, furnishing and building costs?
 
PHP 106,500 is only useful if comparable studios actually let near that amount. It is an advertised figure, whereas the current PHP 90,580 comes with known payment reliability and a good maintenance history.

Retention still looks sensible, but I would estimate a realistic vacancy period before choosing the size of any increase. Then verify the lease dates and applicable local notice process and use those facts to frame a modest proposal. Any deposit accounting should remain separate from the rent discussion and follow the requirements for this tenancy.
 
That distinction between asking and achieved rent is useful. I had been treating the PHP 106,500 figure as a stronger reference than it probably is. Given the distance, reliable payment and good care now carry even more weight for me.

I will check the lease and current local requirements first, then look for closer comparables and estimate what even a short vacancy would actually cost before proposing anything.
 
A simple way to finish the exercise is to write down three scenarios: retain at the present rent, retain after a modest increase, or replace the tenant at the advertised figure. Include vacancy, refurbishment, viewings or management help, and the risk that the next tenant negotiates below asking.

Then approach the tenant with notice rather than pressure: explain that you are reviewing the rent, recognize the strong payment and maintenance history, and invite a discussion. Once you settle on terms, put them in writing using the timing and process required for that tenancy.
 
Back
Top