Rent increase versus tenant retention for a Helsinki apartment at €289,800

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
I’m assessing a €289,800 Helsinki apartment where the current tenant pays about €1,471 per month. Comparable asking rent appears closer to €1,740, but the tenant pays reliably and looks after the home.

That €269 gap is tempting, yet a change of tenant could mean vacancy, refurbishment and other turnover costs. I’m considering a modest increase rather than trying to reach the asking figure immediately. How would others frame a fair review while respecting the lease and Finland’s notice rules?
 
I would put a value on retention before choosing the increase. Even a short vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and reletting effort can absorb many months of the extra €269. A smaller adjustment, explained calmly and supported by genuinely comparable apartments, may be the better outcome. First confirm that the lease provides a valid basis for an increase and follow the applicable Finnish notice requirements rather than treating the advertised market rent as sufficient by itself.
 
I’d be cautious about assuming €1,740 is the real achievable rent. Is that based on similar size, condition, location and lease terms, or just nearby asking advertisements? Maintenance history matters too: if work is due, the current discount may partly reflect the apartment’s condition.

I also wouldn’t promise a sequence of increases until the lease position is clear. Work out the break-even vacancy period using a realistic reletting rent, not the highest advertised one.
 
Daniel’s distinction between asking and achievable rent is important. I’d make a simple comparison: keep the tenant at €1,471, agree a moderate increase, or face turnover while pursuing something near €1,740. Include likely vacancy time, necessary maintenance and deposit handling at the end of the tenancy.

Then approach the tenant in writing, acknowledge the reliable payment history, explain the proposed amount and timing, and leave room for discussion. Before sending it, have the lease wording and current Finnish notice rules checked locally.
 
Back
Top