Rent increase versus tenant retention for a duplex in Manila

FinnDale

Homeowner
Established
Founding Member
The PHP 8,990 monthly gap initially looked large, but the current tenant's dependable payments and upkeep made me view it differently. Comparable Manila duplexes are being advertised near PHP 97,150, while this tenancy is at about PHP 88,160. An advertised figure is not guaranteed income, and a vacancy plus preparation work could erase several months of any increase.

I am leaning toward a measured adjustment rather than either freezing the rent or moving straight to the full asking level. How would others balance retention against the risk of postponing an overdue correction? I also need to confirm the applicable notice process and whether changing the rent affects the deposit before discussing a figure with the tenant.
 
I’d favour a modest increase rather than jumping straight to PHP 97,150. The difference is PHP 8,990 per month, but asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent. Even a short vacancy plus preparation costs could absorb much of the extra income. Give proper notice, explain that you reviewed comparable homes, and recognise the tenant’s payment and maintenance history when setting the figure.
 
Before choosing a number, how similar are those comparables in condition, exact area, parking and lease terms? One advertised duplex at PHP 97,150 does not establish the market by itself. I also wouldn’t assume retention always beats an increase: if the rent has been untouched for years, another very small adjustment may only postpone the same difficult conversation.
 
Brunow’s point about the comparison matters. I’d verify several genuinely similar listings, estimate realistic vacancy and refurbishment costs, then decide the lowest increase that still makes sense. After that, check the current lease and applicable Manila/Philippine requirements for timing, notice and deposit treatment before writing to the tenant. Keeping the deposit separate from the rent discussion should reduce confusion. You could also invite a response rather than presenting the first figure as non-negotiable.
 
Back
Top