Rent increase versus tenant retention for a condo in Manchester - am I overthinking this?

eva.wells

Landlord
I’m trying to run my Manchester condo sensibly without being unreasonable. Comparable asking rents appear to be around £976, while the current tenant pays about £888. They pay reliably and look after the home, so chasing the full £88 difference could be poor business if it leads to vacancy, turnover or refurbishment costs.

Would you make a modest increase, leave it unchanged, or move closer to market rent? I also want to handle the review correctly under the tenancy agreement and applicable notice rules.
 
I’d favour a modest increase rather than jumping straight to £976. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent, and one empty month could consume much of the extra income. A reliable tenant who maintains the place has real value.

Explain the comparison, give proper notice after checking the agreement and current rules in England, and choose a figure you can justify without pretending the tenant is interchangeable.
 
How old are the comparable listings, and are they genuinely similar in condition, furnishing, parking and service charges? That missing detail matters. I’d also look at your tenant’s maintenance history: prompt reporting of small problems can save more than the rent gap.

That said, I wouldn’t automatically discount the property forever because the tenant is good. A predictable, smaller adjustment now may be easier for both sides than a large correction later.
 
The comparisons are asking prices rather than confirmed lets, which makes me less confident about treating £976 as the target. I’m leaning toward a smaller adjustment and a straightforward explanation, subject to checking the tenancy terms and notice route. I’ll also total the likely vacancy, advertising and refresh costs before choosing the amount.
 
That sounds proportionate. Include the deposit position in your planning too: if the tenant left, there would be checkout, any properly evidenced deductions, and deposit handling to complete under the applicable arrangements. Those tasks have time and relationship costs even when everything goes smoothly.

I’d compare the annual gain from each possible increase with one realistic turnover scenario, then decide. Also budget for maintenance separately; a rent increase should not become a reason to defer work the condo needs.
 
Back
Top