Rent increase versus tenant retention for a 5-bed Boston condo

xavi_flint

Property manager
Established
This sounded simple until I wrote down the costs. Asking rent for comparable properties appears close to $1,637, while my 5-bedroom condo currently brings in about $1,378. The tenant pays reliably, looks after the home and reports maintenance problems before they worsen.

I’m considering a modest increase rather than trying to reach the asking figure. How would you balance retention against vacancy, refurbishment and other turnover costs? I also want to handle notice and any deposit implications correctly under the applicable Boston and Massachusetts rules.
 
The gap is $259, but that does not mean the whole amount is recoverable in practice. One vacant month plus cleaning, repairs and finding a new tenant could absorb a long period of higher rent. I’d work out the annual benefit of a smaller increase, then give clear written notice in the form and timeframe that apply to the tenancy. Reliability and early maintenance reporting have real value.
 
I’d be cautious about treating asking rent as market rent. Are those genuine comparables for a 5-bedroom condo with similar condition, location and lease terms, or simply optimistic listings? Also, does the current agreement have a fixed end date or is it periodic? That affects the route and timing, so the lease and current Massachusetts requirements need checking before sending anything.

Once that is clear, a calm conversation explaining a measured adjustment may preserve goodwill better than presenting $1,637 as the target. Keep the deposit separate from the rent discussion unless the tenancy actually ends.
 
Back
Top