The market gap looks significant. My concern is whether chasing it would cost more than keeping a tenant who pays reliably and looks after the home.
This is a three-bedroom Johannesburg duplex currently let for about ZAR 54,220, while similar properties are being advertised near ZAR 61,370. A jump to the listing figure could trigger vacancy, cleaning, reletting and refurbishment costs, but leaving the rent unchanged may allow the difference to grow.
I am considering a smaller increase now, followed by another review rather than one large adjustment. How would you test whether those advertised duplexes are truly comparable and present a fair proposal under the lease and local notice rules? I also need to account for the maintenance record and correct deposit handling.
This is a three-bedroom Johannesburg duplex currently let for about ZAR 54,220, while similar properties are being advertised near ZAR 61,370. A jump to the listing figure could trigger vacancy, cleaning, reletting and refurbishment costs, but leaving the rent unchanged may allow the difference to grow.
I am considering a smaller increase now, followed by another review rather than one large adjustment. How would you test whether those advertised duplexes are truly comparable and present a fair proposal under the lease and local notice rules? I also need to account for the maintenance record and correct deposit handling.