Rent increase versus keeping a reliable Dubai tenant

oren.bloom

Landlord
I would prefer to keep a tenant who pays on time and takes care of the apartment, but the apparent market gap is making the renewal decision less straightforward. The current rent is about AED 11,540, while comparable Dubai advertisements seem to be around AED 12,640.

Those are asking figures rather than proof of completed renewals, so I’m not assuming the full difference is achievable. How would landlords compare a moderate increase with the likely vacancy, preparation work and management time involved in replacing a good tenant?

I also need to check the notice requirements currently applicable before raising the subject. Managing the apartment myself became less convenient after I moved farther away, which adds another cost to any turnover.
 
Start with the cost of one turnover, not just the gap between those two figures. Even a short vacancy plus cleaning, repairs and your time could consume much of the extra rent. With a reliable tenant, I would consider an increase below the apparent asking level, provided it is allowed and notified correctly.
 
Is AED 12,640 based on advertised apartments or completed renewals for genuinely comparable units? Asking rent can be optimistic. I’d also compare condition, floor, furnishings and maintenance history. If your apartment will need work before it can compete at that figure, the gap is smaller than it first appears.
 
I agree with Beatriz’s distinction, but would add that the market comparison is only one part of this in Dubai. Being below nearby asking rents does not by itself mean any proposed increase or timing is permitted. Check the current rules and required notice through official local channels before opening negotiations, especially if the renewal date is approaching.
 
I wouldn’t automatically keep the rent unchanged just because the tenant is good. A modest, properly timed adjustment can still preserve the relationship and avoid a much sharper correction later. Explain the reasoning, give as much clarity as possible, and perhaps commit to dealing with any outstanding maintenance at the same time.
 
Distance changes the calculation too. Before deciding, price out what turnover would actually involve when you cannot attend easily: inspections, access for contractors, cleaning, vacancy time and finding the next tenant. Also make sure the inventory, condition records and deposit handling are orderly. A dispute at move-out can erase the benefit of chasing the higher advertised figure.
 
That last point reinforces the case for writing down two scenarios: renew with a compliant modest rise, or replace the tenant at AED 12,640. Include realistic vacancy and refurbishment in the second scenario rather than assuming an immediate switch. I’d verify the permissible amount and notice position first, then approach the tenant early and calmly rather than presenting the market asking rent as an ultimatum.
 
Back
Top