Rent increase versus keeping a reliable Buenos Aires condo tenant

shareTheSignal

Property manager
Established
I may be overthinking this, but I’m reviewing the rent on a Buenos Aires condo. Comparable asking rent appears to be around ARS 5,326,000, while the tenant currently pays about ARS 4,805,000. They pay reliably and take good care of the home.

Closing the full gap may not be worthwhile once possible vacancy, refurbishment and tenant turnover are included. I’m also now managing from farther away, which makes a change of tenant less attractive. How would others frame a modest, fair adjustment while respecting the lease and local notice requirements?
 
With a reliable tenant, I wouldn’t automatically chase the full asking figure. The gap is ARS 521,000 per rental period, so compare that with even a short vacancy plus preparation and reletting costs. A smaller increase, explained in advance and supported by genuinely comparable condos, may preserve more value than insisting on ARS 5,326,000.
 
What does the current agreement say about adjustments and timing? That matters before choosing a number. I’d also look at how long the rent has been ARS 4,805,000, whether you have handled maintenance promptly, and whether the advertised comparables actually match the condo’s condition, furnishings and charges. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent.
 
The ARS 521,000 gap raises another question: is ARS 5,326,000 supported by comparable occupied condos, or only by current advertisements? That answer would change how much weight I gave to the tenant-retention argument.

I would not choose a midpoint simply because it looks balanced. First check the agreement’s adjustment method and timing, then compare like-for-like units and put an explicit value on reliable payment, good care and avoided turnover. If the higher figure is genuinely supportable, a smaller discount could preserve the relationship without allowing the gap to widen unintentionally by the next review.
 
Distance changes the calculation. Turnover is not only lost rent: someone must inspect the condo, arrange any work, document its condition, show it and deal correctly with the outgoing deposit. Before proposing anything, get a current local view of the notice requirements and the wording of this particular lease. Argentina’s rental framework has changed over time, so old assumptions may not fit the agreement.
 
One more practical point: ask the tenant whether they want to stay before presenting the increase as a finished decision. A simple message saying you are reviewing the rent, value their payment and care history, and want to discuss a sustainable figure may reveal their plans. If they expect to leave soon anyway, the retention discount has less value; if they want stability, you have room to negotiate.
 
I’d make a one-page comparison: current rent, proposed rent, likely vacancy cost, essential refurbishment, remote management effort and any reletting expense. Keep the deposit separate from that calculation because its handling should follow the agreement and applicable local requirements. Then give proper notice in writing and record any agreed change clearly. That turns this from a guess about “market rent” into a decision between two realistic outcomes.
 
Back
Top