I want to keep this Tokyo student-housing renovation within a defensible budget, but the hidden work behind the finishes is making the current ¥47,370,000 estimate difficult to trust. The property is 90 m², and I am not planning an extension.
The intended work includes the kitchen and bathrooms, new flooring and paint, electrical investigation and some energy-efficiency improvements. Before fixing the budget, I want to understand the plumbing access, moisture risk and electrical capacity, as well as whether opening walls or floors is likely to reveal structural work.
What level of contingency would be sensible before those points are investigated? I would also like contractors to identify exclusions, long-lead materials, temporary works and responsibility for costs when one trade holds up another.
Which early survey or inspection would reduce the biggest unknown first? I’m hoping to turn the findings into a clearer scope and sequencing schedule before asking for firm prices, including any time needed for permits.
The intended work includes the kitchen and bathrooms, new flooring and paint, electrical investigation and some energy-efficiency improvements. Before fixing the budget, I want to understand the plumbing access, moisture risk and electrical capacity, as well as whether opening walls or floors is likely to reveal structural work.
What level of contingency would be sensible before those points are investigated? I would also like contractors to identify exclusions, long-lead materials, temporary works and responsibility for costs when one trade holds up another.
Which early survey or inspection would reduce the biggest unknown first? I’m hoping to turn the findings into a clearer scope and sequencing schedule before asking for firm prices, including any time needed for permits.