hearth.patient
Construction professional
The preliminary budget is now $274,100, which raises a more useful question than finish choices: how much of that sum is genuinely protected against unknown work? The project is a 2,210 sq ft serviced apartment in Los Angeles, with planned updates to the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decoration, electrical systems and energy performance. No extension is intended.
I would prefer to simplify the specification rather than exhaust the funds midway. If the existing layouts and services remain in place, a staged investigation followed by a separate contingency may be enough. If walls or floors must be opened, I would want moisture, structural issues and material lead times investigated before committing to the later work.
What should the surveyor inspect first, and which contractor assumptions should be confirmed before fixing the contingency?
I would prefer to simplify the specification rather than exhaust the funds midway. If the existing layouts and services remain in place, a staged investigation followed by a separate contingency may be enough. If walls or floors must be opened, I would want moisture, structural issues and material lead times investigated before committing to the later work.
What should the surveyor inspect first, and which contractor assumptions should be confirmed before fixing the contingency?