buildTheMoss
Property investor
I can either keep the $177,500 budget focused on the visible renovation or cut that scope now to create a larger reserve. Neither feels comfortable without knowing what is behind the walls of this older 2,100 sq ft small multifamily in New York.
The intended work covers kitchens, bathrooms, floors, paint, electrical review and some energy improvements; there is no planned addition. During contractor walkthroughs, what evidence would help distinguish a manageable allowance from a likely structural, moisture, plumbing or wiring problem? I am particularly interested in exclusions, access assumptions, targeted openings and the order of work. Finishes can be changed later, but missed water damage or structural work could dictate the whole project and permit sequence.
The intended work covers kitchens, bathrooms, floors, paint, electrical review and some energy improvements; there is no planned addition. During contractor walkthroughs, what evidence would help distinguish a manageable allowance from a likely structural, moisture, plumbing or wiring problem? I am particularly interested in exclusions, access assumptions, targeted openings and the order of work. Finishes can be changed later, but missed water damage or structural work could dictate the whole project and permit sequence.