Renovation budget for a 165 m² serviced apartment in Bengaluru after 71 days

luca.east

Homeowner
Established
I’m testing a preliminary renovation budget of ₹31,340,000 for a 165 m² serviced apartment in Bengaluru, with a 71-day programme. The scope covers the kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, paint, electrical checks and moderate energy upgrades, but no structural extension.

My concern is hidden conditions and sequencing rather than finish selection. What contingency would members carry, and what should I ask the surveyor or contractor about electrical scope, plumbing access, moisture and exclusions? I also need to understand whether material lead times or permit timing make 71 days unrealistic.
 
For this stage I would keep a clearly separate contingency rather than burying it in trade allowances—perhaps 15% until intrusive inspections are complete. Ask the contractor to identify every assumption about concealed wiring, pipe routes, waterproofing below bathroom finishes and access through common areas. Also request a written list of exclusions; that often reveals more than the headline quotation.
 
Does ₹31,340,000 include appliances, furniture, consultant fees, taxes and any costs imposed by the building, or is it construction only? Without that split, a contingency percentage could be misleading. I’d also clarify whether the 71 days starts at site possession, after approvals, or when long-lead materials are ordered.
 
I’m not convinced 15% should automatically sit across such a large budget. Known finish and equipment packages can be priced separately, while higher contingency is assigned to bathrooms, electrical work and anything concealed. Before fixing the number, arrange moisture readings around wet areas and inspect accessible service routes. If opening-up is permitted, targeted inspection points could remove some expensive uncertainty.
 
Sequencing may be the bigger risk. Confirm when water and power can be isolated, whether noisy work has restricted hours, and how debris and materials can move through the building. Then link procurement dates to the work programme. A 71-day build may look workable on paper but still fail if tiles, sanitaryware, electrical components or approvals are not ready before demolition begins.
 
I’d ask bidders to price the same scope in three columns: included work, provisional items and explicit exclusions. Require separate responses for rewiring beyond failed points, replacement of inaccessible plumbing, waterproofing repairs, damaged substrate beneath flooring, making good after service access, and permit-related delay. That makes quotations comparable and shows where contingency belongs. Also define who pays if an inspection uncovers structural work even though none is currently planned.
 
Back
Top