Renovation budget for a 165 m² apartment in Milan? (2 bed)

avery.pike

Property investor
I have checked the broad room schedule, but it is still unclear what the €29,370 budget actually buys for a 165 m² Milan apartment. The plan includes work to the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, decoration, electrics and limited energy improvements. No extension is intended, although I do not yet know whether moving services or altering walls would create structural work.

A flat 20% contingency is tempting, but it may not solve an incomplete scope. If the kitchen and bathrooms remain where they are, I could seek firm prices after targeted checks of moisture, wiring and plumbing access. If they move, I would rather price that as a separate stage before committing to the full design. What exclusions should the surveyor and contractors resolve first, including making good, disposal, labour, materials and tax?
 
I would carry at least 20% until the electrical system, wet areas and concealed plumbing have been properly investigated. Ask each contractor to state what is excluded: removal and disposal, making good after opening walls, access equipment, remedial wiring, moisture treatment and permit-related delays. A contingency only works if the original scope is reasonably complete.
 
Do you know whether the bathrooms and kitchen are staying in their current positions? Moving water and waste connections could change both cost and sequencing substantially. I would also ask whether the €29,370 includes materials, labour and tax, or whether some of those are allowances. “Moderate energy upgrades” needs a precise list before anyone can judge the buffer.
 
I’m not convinced that simply adding 20% makes this safe. For 165 m², the larger risk may be an under-scoped base budget rather than isolated surprises. Get contractors to price the same written schedule, identify provisional items, and explain what happens if testing reveals wiring or moisture work beyond the allowance. Otherwise the lowest quotation may just contain the most exclusions.
 
Sequence the unknowns first: surveys and opening-up where permitted, then electrical and plumbing decisions, then any required approvals, followed by orders for items with long lead times. Only after that would I lock in flooring, decorating and final finishes. Also reserve part of the contingency separately rather than spending it on design upgrades. If the numbers tighten, simplify finishes before cutting investigation or essential remedial work.
 
Back
Top