Renewal rent for a reliable Singapore townhouse tenant

SwiftWire

Homeowner
The latest townhouse adverts I found are near S$12,140, which leaves me wondering how far to move from the current S$10,860 at renewal. This tenant has a strong payment record and looks after the property, so replacing them could bring an empty period, touch-up work and reletting expense that outweigh part of the increase.

My preference is a moderate rise rather than an immediate move to the advertised level, assuming the comparisons really match. What sequence of checks would you use before proposing a figure? I also need to review the tenancy terms and Singapore-specific requirements for notice, renewal changes and any future deposit deductions.
 
I would put a price on retention before deciding. Compare the extra annual rent with one possible vacant period, marketing or agent costs, touch-ups and the uncertainty of a new tenant. Asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent either. A smaller increase, explained early and supported by genuinely comparable townhouses, sounds more balanced.
 
How much time remains on the current tenancy, and does the agreement contain a renewal or rent-review clause? That could shape both timing and notice. Also, are the S$12,140 comparisons similar in size, condition, furnishing and location, or are they simply the nearest listings?
 
I would not automatically discount the rent just because the tenant has been good. Reliability has value, but the owner is also carrying rising costs and market risk. One option is to present two clear choices: a smaller increase for a longer renewal, or a higher figure for a shorter commitment. Whether that works depends on what the existing agreement permits.
 
The maintenance history matters here. A tenant who reports issues promptly and avoids damage can save more than is obvious from the rent ledger. I would review inspection notes and repair history alongside payment reliability. If both are strong, offering below the advertised market can be a deliberate retention decision rather than leaving money on the table.
 
I agree with checking the comparisons, but I would also ask what vacancy time is realistic for this particular townhouse. The useful calculation is not just S$12,140 versus S$10,860. Model the net result if the current tenant renews at a moderate increase, then compare it with the higher rent after a plausible empty period and turnover work.
 
Rolling the deposit into the rent negotiation may feel convenient, while discussing it now can sound like a threat; I would do neither. Keep the renewal proposal on its own track. If the tenancy later ends, assess any proposed deduction against the agreement and supporting evidence for damage or another agreed liability. The next step is to confirm the applicable Singapore procedure before changing terms or issuing notice.
 
There is also a relationship issue in how the proposal is delivered. Give the tenant enough time to consider it, explain that nearby asking rents informed the review, and invite a counterproposal. I would avoid saying the property is definitively worth S$12,140 unless there is evidence of comparable completed lettings. A calm written proposal followed by a conversation is less confrontational than a last-minute demand.
 
Putting the suggestions together, I would first read the renewal and notice provisions, verify that the comparable listings truly match, and obtain realistic turnover estimates. Then set three numbers privately: the preferred renewal rent, the lowest acceptable figure, and the rent needed to justify vacancy risk. That gives you room to negotiate without improvising. If the tenant wants certainty, a longer term at a moderate increase may align both sides.
 
Back
Top